Selecting Citations in Word
After installing the CWYW Tools for Microsoft Word, open a new Word document and open EndNote. You can add citations to an existing document, but some formatting issues may occur. EndNote icons in Word for Mac are the same as the EndNote icons in Word for Windows.
- Place the cursor in the Word document where you want to add a citation. Find the EndNote toolbar, usually located in the upper right corner of the document as a floating box, and click the icon. A window will appear.
- Useful Tip: The same EndNote toolbar options can also be found in the EndNote menu tab within Microsoft Word. Citations are inserted by using the Insert Citation button.
- In the window displayed, use the search bar to find the reference(s) you need to cite by entering a search term and press the Enter or Return key. A list of records from your EndNote library will be shown in the results. Select the appropriate reference(s) then click the Insert button.
- The citation for that reference will automatically be inserted into the document where the cursor was placed, including the bibliography, which will appear at the end of the document. The citation and bibliography will be formatted in the selected citation style.
Selecting Citations in EndNote
Another way of adding citations to a Word document is by searching and selecting them within EndNote.
- Place the cursor in the Word document where you want to add a citation. Click on the Go to EndNote button from the EndNote toolbar. This will take you to your desktop EndNote program.
- Find and select the appropriate reference(s). Click on the Insert Citation button located above the Reference panel. This will return you to your Word document. The citation for that reference will automatically be inserted into the document where the cursor was placed, including the bibliography, which will appear at the end of the document.