If you will require Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, it is important to clearly outline expectations with your students.
Sample language below may be used to update your syllabus:
Using LockDown Browser and a Webcam for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature. A student Quick Start Guide (PDF) is also available.
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
To ensure LockDown Browser and the webcam are set up properly, do the following:
- Start LockDown Browser, log into Blackboard, and select this course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and locate the practice quiz named [NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: CREATE A BRIEF PRACTICE QUIZ AND INSERT NAME OF QUIZ HERE; IF NECESSARY, INCLUDE LOCATION OF QUIZ].
- Upon completing and submitting the practice quiz, exit LockDown Browser.
When taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, remember the following guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted — books, papers, other devices
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window
Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.